Opera Cream?

Lyons, Jennifer M jlyons at NETMARKETGROUP.COM
Thu Jul 27 19:47:57 UTC 2000

I found that, although it doesn't seem to match the one opera cream candy
I've eaten here, or this recipe:
"Opera Cream. 2 cups gran. sugar 3/4 cup milk (condensed if desired) 1/4
cake chocolate. vanilla & nuts if desired. Boil the sugar, milk and
chocolate until it gets the least bit sticky when you put it in water. Then
put it aside to cool. When it is fairly cool, put in vanilla & nuts & beat
it until your arms break off. Then pour it into a pan or drop it on buttered
pan or paper If you don't succeed at first, try, try again."
(from http://www.mtholyoke.edu/~dalbino/scrapbooks/carrie/misc.html)
The recipe sounds closer.

I'm curious about the origins of the term, and if anyone knows whether or
not its usage is something regional, especially since I'm turning up
different meanings when I search.

Thanks,
Jen