That/Which

Thomas Paikeday t.paikeday at SYMPATICO.CA
Fri Jul 28 14:45:49 UTC 2000

Here's a question that's beginning to bother me, though not as a normal linguistic phenomenon:

Why do writers drop "that/which" when the use of at least "that" would make the meaning clearer? The current tendency seems to be to modify the AP sentence thus:

"He said [note dropped "on"] Monday [drop "that"] the part of the army that [changed from "which"] suffered severe casualties needs reinforcement." Or, to use the classical example, "This is the house Jack built."

I'm dying for some expert comments on this trend.

About Microsoft Word and such online help, I think everyone knows that if one were to run a bit of "Queen's English" (or its American equivalent) through the style checker, the results would be disillusioning.

Signature & ad: THOMAS M. PAIKEDAY, lexicographer since 1964. Just published "pro bono": The User's™ Webster, a unique dictionary ... that defines words in their typical contexts...; 1,300 pp., 5¼ x 8¼ in. paperback; $7.99/Cdn$11.95; ISBN 0-920865-03-8; orders: utpbooks at utpress.utoronto.ca