earlier specimen of gank

Bernard W. Kane bkane at TIGGER.JVNC.NET
Sat Jul 29 21:51:27 UTC 2000

FWIW, following is substance of cite I submitted to major dictionary in
January 1995 (they didn't use it; probably not enough support for it)

gank move

(printed on a package of instant oatmeal from QUAKER OATS COMPANY, Chicago,
furn to finder by one of his sources December 1994)

(Question) Hot Language: What does "gank move" mean?
     A. to trick someone out of money.
     B. To dance poorly.
     C. To wreck something.
     D. To get into trouble.

(Answer) A. I did a gank move and got my little brother's allowance!

(But note: based on later exx, Answer C might also be acceptable)

(Further: R. A. Spears: Slang and Euphemism (1991) thought gank = marijuana,
prob. some confusion with ganja)

Bernie Kane
word-finder