jazz

Mon Jul 31 19:34:32 UTC 2000

"Jazz" is one of the two words that got me interested
in this group in the first place.

Among old messages I've saved was this one from B.
Popik...

"President Benjamin Ide Wheeler was a classical
scholar and author of
ALEXANDER THE GREAT, DIONYSOS AND IMMORTALITY, THE
GREEK NOUN ACCENT, and   INTRODUCTION TO THE STUDY OF
LANGUAGES.  Wheeler probably used "jazz" in relation
to the "Big Game" of 1915--or could it be as early as
1912?  Wouldn't you know, it takes at least a day to
request his papers, and it's a holiday weekend, and I
live in New York City.  B Popik)"

In another excerpt from the discussion at that
time...I'm not sure if the original message was from
B. Popik... was this statement...

"  (Someone from San Francisco--the term is first
recorded in the SF BULLETIN in
  1913--gives Wheeler credit?--ed.)"

Barry, or anyone, has there been documentation of
these early - 1912 to 1915 - uses of "jazz" in the SF
papers or in Prof. Wheeler's papers?

=====
SLC, UT                        |it is that we will be sued