question for safire's column

Kathleen Miller millerk at NYTIMES.COM
Mon Jul 31 19:28:53 UTC 2000

To anyone who's interested.

He has me looking into the word livid and how it went from pale-bluish to
enraged. The OED suggests "as if pale with rage."

Merriam-Webster offers that livid can also mean reddish. I would more readily
associate anger with "reddish" than "pale".

Which one is it - or is it something else entirely?

Thanks again for your expert opinions.

Katy

Kathleen E. Miller
Research Assistant to William Safire
The New York Times

"And now here is my secret, a very simple secret: It is only with the heart
that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the
eye."                 Antoine de Saint-Exupery