jams, jellies, and preserves

Aaron E. Drews aaron at LING.ED.AC.UK
Thu Jun 1 10:06:23 UTC 2000

on 1/6/00 10:49 AM, Lynne Murphy wrote:

> Bruce asks:
>
>> And to drag this back to topic...however did ginger come to refer to
>> red/orange hair in the UK? I could understand blonde, but red?
>
> It's more usually used for what we'd call strawberry blonde--so it's reddish
> blonde.  You also hear it a lot of cats--a ginger cat--which are not red but
> might have a warm tinge to their blond fur.  People with really red hair are
> more likely to be called 'red-headed'--Ginger Spice excluded (but then she
> did have those blonde streaks).
>
> Lynne

Okay.  So maybe it's an English-Scottish thing.  Maybe it's the different
interpretations from a male perspective and a female perspective.  Neither
of us being British helps.

--Aaron

Aaron E. Drews                               The University of Edinburgh
http://www.ling.ed.ac.uk/~aaron      Departments of English Language and
aaron at ling.ed.ac.uk                    Theoretical & Applied Linguistics

 "MERE ACCUMULATION OF OBSERVATIONAL EVIDENCE IS NOT PROOF"
  --Death