Oops!

J. Katherine Rossner ookpik at MINDSPRING.COM
Mon Jun 5 17:19:42 UTC 2000

At 10:10 AM 6/5/00 -0700, Peter McGraw wrote:
>Darn!  Excuse me, everybody--I thought I was replying to the spammer.
>Foiled again!

Peter,

You're excused, for my part, but you might want to note for the future that
replying directly to a spammer is NOT a good idea in any case:  it only
tells him/her that your email address is a valid one!

Better is to use whatever command your mailer has for showing full headers
(in Eudora, that means clicking on the "blah blah blah" button next to the
.sigs one), then forward the full-header copy to the administration or
"root" at the originating Internet connection, with a note that this is
spam and requesting that they deal with the sender.

Our spammer, for example, seems to have forged an AOL return address; "full
headers" appears to indicate that he was a UGA student.  It's not quite
clear to me whether that's the real originating address or one related to
the listserv, but I did send a copy to root at uga.edu, with apologies if I'm
misreading.

Katherine
--
Ye knowe ek, that in forme of speche is chaunge
Withinne a thousand yere, and wordes tho