Mama Leone & Trader Vic

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Jun 7 06:13:49 UTC 2000

   I went to the Strand Used Bookstore last weekend and bought some old (1968) cookbooks.  The Mama Leone & Trader Vic books were only $4 each!

LEONE'S ITALIAN COOKBOOK (1968)
by Gene Leone

   There's a foreword by Dwight D. Eisenhower!  Gene Leone had cooked some at West Point.
   Mother Leone opened her New York City restaurant on April 27, 1906.  The big question is--when did she first introduce these items to the menu?

Pg. 5--"Spumoni, Fat' in Casa."  On opening day 1906?  OED has 1922 for spumoni.
Pg. 70--"Spaghettini."
Pg. 74--"Ziti."
Pg. 76--"Spinach Noodles."
Pg. 77--"Ravioli."
Pg. 78--"Lasagne."
Pg. 81--"Cannelloni alla Romana."
Pg. 83--"Manicotti."
Pg. 84--"Gnocchi."
Pg, 123--"Deep-Sea Scampi Sauteed."
Pg. 132--"Chicken Cacciatora."
Pg. 168--"Veal Cutlet Parmigiana."  "This was one of our most popular dishes.  On a busy night we would serve as many as 2,500 portions."
Pg. 169--"Veal Scaloppine Piccata."  Veal Scaloppine is not in the OED!
Pg. 203--"A Hero Sandwich."
Pg. 224--"Espresso Granita (coffee ice)."
Pg. 226--"Zabaglione."
Pg. 230--"Canoli."
Pg. 231--"Zeppole di San Giuseppe."  OED has 1976 for Zeppole.
Pg. 233--"Cappucino."  "I have been told that this drink got its name from the coffee-colored habits of Italian monks.  Cappucino is usally made in the regular espresso machine."

TRADER VIC'S PACIFIC ISLAND COOKBOOK:
WITH SIDE TRIPS TO KONG KONG, SOUTHEST ASIA, MEXICO, AND TEXAS (1968)

   Too much to go over in detail, but two interesting items.

Pg. 195--"Nachos."  In the Texas section.  "This next tidbit is a Mexican version of the old melted cheese and cracker bit, with a bit of jalapeno pepper."
Pg. 189--"Pina Fria."  In the Mexico section.  No "Pina Colada" is here.  This drink contains 2 ounces pineapple juice, 2 slice pineapple, 1 ounce lemon juice, 1 ounce light rum.