Subway!

GEORGE THOMPSON thompsng at ELMER4.BOBST.NYU.EDU
Fri Jun 9 15:32:43 UTC 2000

Bill Gallo writes in Thursday's [New York] Daily News, Special
Section, p. 26:

"Subway has a few meanings in this town.  For instance, if you're in
a bar and the bartender suddenly yells, "Subway," that means he's
just picked up a nice tip left by an exiting customer."

I have never heard this exclamation.  For sure, it's never been
yelled as I left a bar.  Any of the barflies on this list familiar
with it?

Gallo is I think in his seventies -- old enough at least to have
been a Marine in WWII -- and a born New Yorker whose spent his
working career in NYC also.

GAT