Wrap sandwiches; Tuna melt; Turkey Wattle

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Jun 9 03:42:27 UTC 2000

WRAP SANDWICHES

  "Wraps" are not in John Mariani's ENCYCLOPEDIA.  They're not in the OED.
  It's easy to check on computer databases.  The term "wrap" was popularized by a wrap restaurant in San Francisco in 1995.  However, wraps have been around awhile.
  This is from FAMILY CIRCLE, July 1975, pg. 86:

_WRAP-UPS_
   FROM CREPES TO CANNELLONI!  Whatever you call them, you'll find them everywhere, for every country has its own version--some form of thin dough wrapped or rolled around a tasty filling.  You can make a hearty main-dish or sweet dessert wrap-ups; you can make the wrappers ahead and freeze them.  Wrap-ups are a good way to use leftover tidbits, and--most important--people love them!

  Someone asked for the history of "rap," no?

TUNA MELT

  Jessie Sheidlower has given the order for a pre-1977 "melt."  I checked through FAMILY CIRCLE of the early 1970s, and it wasn't there.
  My thought is that it originated in a 1970s ad for Kraft cheeses--probably for Velveeta.  Companies often keep their old advertising on file.  (I once asked Budweiser for their 1904 "We're from Missouri" ad.)
  "Tuna Stretches Food Dollars" in the March 20, 1970 CHICAGO TRIBUNE doesn't have "tuna melt."
  James Beard's book (1972) doesn't have "melt."
  It's not one of the nine tuna dishes in the October 1973 FAMILY CIRCLE.
  FAMILY CIRCLE June 1975, pg. 115, has a Kraft ad for VELVEETA.  "Good old Velveeta.  Good in so many ways."  One of the ways is: "Slice it on your tuna bake and you'll see what we mean."
  I'm sure Kraft will have that 1970s "melt."

TURKEY WATTLE

  "Turkey wattle" is not in the OED.
  I've been going through the Chicago Tribune for "gyro."  "'Turkey Wattle:' Telltale Sign of Age" is in 23 May 1970, section 2, pg. 20, cols. 4-8:

  "Turkey wattle" under the chin is a dead giveaway for advancing years and can make even a smooth, youthful face look older. (...) "Turkey wattle" underchin looseness often appears in men and women in their forties and fifties, but it sometimes shows up even earlier.

  The article is from the book PLASTIC SURGERY: BEAUTY YOU CAN BUY (1970) by Harriet La Barre.