vulgarities in silent films

Robert S. Wachal robert-wachal at UIOWA.EDU
Sat Jun 10 21:46:07 UTC 2000

I remember reading that deaf lip readers used to variously complain or
enjoy the vulgar utterances. I would not waste your time with a trick
question nor an idle one.  I am finishing a paper for American Speech on
vulgar language.

Bob