Monte Cristo sandwich (continued)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Jun 10 23:33:15 UTC 2000

   From GOURMET, May 1955, pg. 66, col. 3:

Q. I'm giving a stag party, and want to serve Monte Cristo sandwiches.  I've looked everywhere, including my copy of THE GOURMET COOKBOOK, for the recipe, but no luck.
ROBERT H. MIDDOUGH
LONG BEACH, CALIFORNIA

A.  S'truth, the recipe was masquerading under the title of _croque monsieur_.  Here's an Americanized version of a famous French snack.
   _Monte Cristo Sandwich_
   Cut the crusts from 3 thin slices of white bread.  Spread the first slice with butter and cover with lean baked ham and chicken.  Butter the second slice on both sides, lay it on the ham and chicken and cover with thin slices of Swiss cheese.  Finish with the third slice (Pg. 67, col. 1) of bread.  Cut the sandwich in half, fasten the halves with wooden toothpicks, and dip them in a batter made of 2 eggs lightly beaten with 1 cup cold milk and seasoned to taste with salt and white pepper.  Saute the sandwich in butter until golden brown on both sides.  Remove the picks and serve immediately.