Tube? (was: Re: Subway!)

Bruce Dykes bkd at GRAPHNET.COM
Mon Jun 12 06:58:10 UTC 2000

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter A. McGraw <pmcgraw at LINFIELD.EDU>
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Date: Friday, June 09, 2000 5:06 PM
Subject: Re: Tube? (was: Re: Subway!)

>During my years in New York I don't recall hearing anyone call the city
>subway system "the tube," but I did learn that what is today the PATH
>system connecting NYC and New Jersey used to be called "The Hudson Tubes."
>I don't know whether this system was referred to colloquially as "the
>tube," or "the tubes," at that time.

I can second this...while I recognized the lines in question from the
description, I've never heard them called anything but the PATH trains in
the last ten years. Of course, I don't live in the area on the New Jersey
where some old-timers might use "Hudson Tubes", but that name is not in
current usage.

bkd