new word alert

Gareth Branwyn garethb2 at EARTHLINK.NET
Mon Jun 12 19:40:26 UTC 2000

"Clit mouse" has been around for years. It was submitted to the Jargon Watch
column in Nov. '96 by someone at Stanford.

I never brought myself to submit it to Wired at the time*, but have used it
ever since and have heard it frequently used by others.

---------------------------
Gareth Branwyn
Jargon Watch Editor
Wired

* My editor at the time was a very politically correct sort who never wanted
to publish anything that might be construed as sexist. I submitted another
term around this time, AssGrabber, which I really wanted to use. AOL had
just released a program called FileGrabber which allowed you to assemble
multi-part newsgroup image files at the touch of a button. Since the only
real purpose of this utility was assembling porno, the name nearly instantly
became AssGrabber. This was a time when AOL was proclaiming how "family
friendly" it was, so I found this tech (and the resultant slang) particular
interesting (again, since there was little other use for it, which AOL was
surely aware of). I also found it interesting that my editor thought the
term was sexist. There was (and still is) a huge gay porn presence online,
so I don't know why he assumed the gender of the ass being grabbed. He was
not the editor of the Jargon Watch book, so I was able to use this term and
several others that he had censored.