Menudo & Gorditos

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Jun 12 23:28:31 UTC 2000

   Jesse asked me if I have a "menudo" before 1964.

   From RAMONA'S SPANISH-MEXICAN COOKERY: THE FIRST COMPLETE AND AUTHENTIC SPANISH-MEXICAN COOK BOOK IN ENGLISH (Los Angeles, 1929):

Pg. 84: _Gorditos_ (Taco Bell owes me!--ed.)
4 cups tortilla dough (masa)
1/2 cup green chile sauce (see sauces)
1/2 lib. sliced goat cheese
3 avocadoes, peeled and sliced
Salt and pepper to taste.
Pg. 85:  Divide the dough in 6 equal parts, form a round cake 1/2 inch thick and cook slowly on medium hot griddle, turning frequently, when well done split open and fill with cheese, chile sauce and avocado, salt and pepper to taste.
   This recipe will recall to many tourists the fond recollections of their visit to Santa Nita or Xochimilco where they were blessed with plenty of these delicious sandwiches, served with a generous gourde of pulque and music, as their flower laden boats drifted along the canals of the floating gardens near Old Mexico City.

Pg. 90:  _Tripe a la Mexicana--Menudo_
3 lbs. fresh tripe
4 cups cooking sauce (see sauces)
1 tblsp. chile powder
1 tblsp. almond meal
Salt and pepper to taste.
   Cut tripe in 2 inch squares, place to a slow boil in sufficient stock or water to cover well.  When near done add the cooking sauce, almond meal and chile powder, steam until well done.  Serve with tortillas.
   When using cooking sauce recipe in preparing tripe, chile powder may be used to taste and the almond meal can also be omitted.

MEXICAN COOKBOOK
FOR QUANTITY SERVICE:
AUTHENTIC PROFESSIONAL RECIPES
By Caleva
(New York, 1958)

Pg. 40: _TRIPE SOUP, JALAPA STYLE_
(Menudo, Jalapenos)
25 Servings
   INGREDIENTS
Calf Feet (cleaned)...4 lbs.
Water (boiling)...3 gal.
Tripe (washed and chopped)...8 lbs.
Hominy...2 lbs.
Onions (chopped)...1 lb.
Garlic (chopped).. 4 cl.
Oregano...1 tbs.
Coriander...2 tsp.
Salt..1 tsp.
Pepper...1/2 tsp.
1. Place calves feet in boiling water and cool one hour.
2. Add tripe, hominy, onions, garlic; tie oregano, coriander, salt and pepper in spice bag, then add, bring to a boil and simmer six hours; remove and serve hot, garnish with mint leaf and chopped green onions.

COOKING SOUTH OF THE RIO GRANDE
by George Luther Nelson
(San Antonio, 1935)

   This book also had "menudo."  However, the book had to be specially copied, and I'll pick them up next week.