French Dip Sandwich; Biscotti

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Jun 13 00:17:54 UTC 2000

   Two foods from GOURMET magazine that aren't in the online OED at all.

FRENCH DIP SANDWICH

   From GOURMET, April 1951, pg. 71, col. 1:

Q.  I would like so much to know how to make French dip sandwiches.  Could you help me find a recipe?
MRS. W. H. NECESSARY (The guys nicknamed her "by any means"--ed.)
SHERMAN OAKS, CALIFORNIA
A.  We have a simple passion for unusual names, so may we add yours to our collection, in exchange for this recipe to add to yours?
   _French Dip Sandwiches_
   This is a long French roll heated until it is crisp and filled with slices of Swiss cheese, slightly melted, and slices of beef or lamb which have been dipped in a very peppery barbecue sauce.  One half of the filled roll is then dipped in the barbecue sauce.  The undipped half of the roll is used as a handle.

BISCOTTI (continued)

   An earlier citation than I gave before is GOURMET, July 1951, pg. 54, col. 3:

Q.  I have in mind a sweet Italian rusk, flavored with anise...
MISS MARY OSADNICK
CHICAGO, ILLINOIS
(Pg. 55, col. 1--ed.)
A.  To enjoy _biscotti all'anaci_ properly, you should dunk them, neatly but thoroughly, in hot coffee.
   _Biscotti All' Anaci_
   _(Anise Biscuits)_
   Beat 2 eggs with 5/8 cup sugar until the mixture is thick and pale in color.  Fold in gently but thoroughly 1 1/4 cups sifted flour and 1 teaspoon anise seeds.
   Bake in a buttered and floured loaf pan, 4 inches wide, in a moderate oven (375 degrees F.) for about 20 minutes, or until done.
   Remove the cake from the pan and cut it into 1-inch slices.  Place the slices on a buttered baking sheet and bake them for 5 minutes, or until brown on one side.  Turn the slices over and bake for another 5 minutes.  This makes 20 biscotti.