Accents in Am. English

Wed Jun 14 14:55:54 UTC 2000

--- "Steve K." <stevek at SHORE.NET> wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Jun 2000, Natalie Maynor wrote:
>
> > I would consider putting an accent mark on a word
> like resume
> > when writing in English just as pretentious as
> pronouncing
> > borrowed words in an un-English way.
>
> How about the habit of frozen desserts and heavy
> metal bands to throw
> umlauts all over the place?
>
> (The funniest thing I ever heard the great
> Indo-Europeanist Eric Hamp say
> was his attempt to pronounce Haagen Dazs umlauts and
> all... Those of you
> who know Eric can appreciate this.)
>
> --- Steve K.

I don't know Eric, but I can imagine.  If the story I
heard on PBS is true and not just another urban
legend, Haagen Dazs has no real meaning or root in any
language - it's an impressive looking but meaningless
name that was simply made up by the marketing people
at Pillsbury!

=====
SLC, UT                        |it is that we will be sued