patio

Peter A. McGraw pmcgraw at LINFIELD.EDU
Thu Jun 15 18:07:14 UTC 2000

I remember as a kid in the early 40s in Southern California (where most
houses had a patio) hearing the occasional "potty-o," which stood out
because I mostly heard "patio" (with /ae/).  I don't remember hearing
anything but the latter since then.

Peter Mc.

--On Thu, Jun 15, 2000 12:21 PM -0400 Mark_Mandel at DRAGONSYS.COM wrote:

> "Steve K." <stevek at SHORE.NET> writes:
>

> On Tue, 13 Jun 2000, Rudolph C Troike wrote:
>
>> Sort of like hearing people pronounce "patio" with /ae/.
>
> AHD 1, back in the 60s, listed the first pronunciation of patio with
> /ae/ (short a, as in bat). This is also the first form in the latest
> Random House College and MW10...
>
> It appears with a-as-in-father in Kenyon & Knott's Pronouncing Dictionary
> Of American English. (1953, a copyright update of 1944). Websters 2nd has
> a-as-in-father; Webster's 3rd has a-as-in-bat, so there seems to have been
> a shift midcentury.
> <<<<<
>
> /ae/ is the only way I've EVER heard it. We had one when I was a kid (NYC
> suburbs, 50s). Is the /a/-as-in-father pron from Spanish?
>
> -- Mark

                               Peter A. McGraw
                   Linfield College   *   McMinnville, OR
                            pmcgraw at linfield.edu