Status

Donald M. Lance LanceDM at MISSOURI.EDU
Thu Jun 15 20:37:55 UTC 2000

In 20th century American English, a word spelled p-a-t-i-o or v-i-d-e-o would have a
"short vowel" in the first syllable.  How would s-t-u-d-e-o as a neologism be pronounced
nowadays?  Which of the regional variants of American "short o" would be the equivalent of
Spanish /a/ -- California, New York, Chicahgo, Chicawgo, north/east/south/central/west
Texas, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Wisconsin?  Maybe a Chicahgoan's pronunciation of 'patio' with
/a/ would sound sort of OK, but others sound either affected or
intentional-recognition-of-borrowing.  Because of my South Texas background, I have
ambivalent feelings and use the Spanish-like vowel with some people and the American
English pronunciation with others.  Most of the American renderings of the vowel in 'pot'
are rather different from the Spanish vowel.

DMLance