Gyros (1968)

Steve K. stevek at SHORE.NET
Fri Jun 16 16:47:39 UTC 2000

On Fri, 16 Jun 2000 Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:

>    From THE WFMT GUIDE (CHICAGO GUIDE in 1971, CHICAGO from 1975), December 1968, pg. 40, col. 2:
>
> THE PARTHENON--314 S. Halsted.  Greek.

Kostas Kazazis of the linguistics department at U of C always said that if
you were in Chicago and wanted good Greek food to go to a Turkish
restaurant. :) I've eaten in Greektown exactly twice, and I'm convinced
it's a tourist trap, because one meal was inedible and the other one was
so-so.

Of course, this doesn't make citations about them any less relevant, just
thought I'd share in case you got hungry.

I miss Chicago gyros where they cut the lamb in strips off a spit. Here in
Boston, the only gyros I've had, they take  a package of frozen precut
strips out of the freezer and throw them on the grill; they are to real
gyros what Pringles are to potato chips.

--- Steve K.