Bagel (1928, 1929)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Jun 24 23:33:27 UTC 2000

     "Bagel" is in the OED, cited from 1932.  David Shulman tells me that he
had submitted a 1918 cite, but I haven't seen it.
    THE JEWISH BAKERS' VOICE (half Yiddish, half English) began in 1927.

13 January 1928, THE JEWISH BAKERS' VOICE, "My Tour to Minneapolis & St.
Paul," pg. 11, col. 2:
   To make conditions still worse, there is one baker whose name I cannot
mention, baking bagels only.  Just because most of the bakers stopped buying
bagel (sic) from him, he reduces the prices of biscuits, cookies, doughnuts,
bismarks, cakes, bagel, butter-rolls, Vienna rolls, and cup cakes to 12 cents
per dozen, and a large pan bread to 6 cents.

24 February 1928, THE JEWISH BAKERS' VOICE, "My First Bakery in America
(Memories of a Baker)" by Joseph Edelstein, pg. 11, col. 2:
   On my way home I was stopped by a man, whom I knew as a bagel baker.
   "Can you bake bagels," he asked. (...)  Now, I want to say a few words
about this bagel baker.  He was a bagel baker at night, but by day he was a
banker. (...)  Well, I worked with the bagel-baker two weeks and he owed me
$24.

17 August 1928, THE JEWISH BAKERS' VOICE, pg. 14, col. 2:
   _Isaac Moskowitz Dies_
   Isaac Moskowitz, father of the Moskowitz Bros., bagel bakers and prominent
members of the organization, died Monday, August 11, in his home, 1515
Charlotte Street, Bronx.

1 March 1929, THE JEWISH BAKERS' VOICE, pg. 17, col. 1:
   _What is found in a Jewish Bakery_
   The breakfast crowd in a certain Jewish bakery began to come the other day
as usual around eight o'clock.  The customers found displayed along one wall
alone an assortment of breakfast rolls.  By count there were twelve different
varieties of rolls.  Among these were Vienna rolls, onion kuchen, mohn
kuchen, horns, small twists, egg bagel (sic), plain bagel (sic), and egg
rolls of various shapes and twists.  Besides these, there was also a white
bread of delicious quality.  Also, there were more than a dozen kinds of
breakfast cakes, including plain round buns, square buns, jelly and cheese
cakes, large mohn cakes, crullers and doughnuts, humintash for the holiday,
apple cake, and several others.  All were the best products of the baking
craft.  To top off the feast for the Jewish crowd, there was a fresh batch of
Jewish pure rye, heavy black pumpernick.