GEnome or geNOME

Donald M. Lance LanceDM at MISSOURI.EDU
Mon Jun 26 22:22:29 UTC 2000

I listened for pronunciations during an afternoon CNN piece.  Only Myron Kandel (however he spells his name) said geNOM.  All the others said what seems natural to me -- GEnom.  In addition to AHD, Webster's 10th, the Oxford American Dictionary and Language Guide, and the Cambridge International Dictionary of English all have GEnom.  Kandel seems at times to be rather fussy about his pronunciations, and people like that occasionally apply Romance stress rules rather than Germanic stress rules -- I assume on the assumption that they are being more sophisticated.  But they use initial stress on
HARra(s)sment.