turtle candy

Mike Salovesh t20mxs1 at CORN.CSO.NIU.EDU
Tue Jun 27 05:25:46 UTC 2000

Clearly, Greg Pulliam was way, way off in suggesting that "pralines" is
another name for "Turtles".   His original question, however, correctly
implies that there is another product on the market that is highly
similar to Turtles.  The name is "Pixies".

I had the impression that both Turtles and Pixies were exclusive trade
marks, and that the makers of Pixies came up with that name because they
were blocked from calling their product Turtles.  (That's the reason for
all the upper case initials I'm throwing in here.)  A down and dirty
Google search, however, reveals lots and lots of recipes for making
turtles (l.c.) in your own kitchen. The ingredients look like about what
I'd expect to find in Turtles.

"Pixies", on Google, got lots of information about a rock group, but I
didn't notice anything about the trademarked candy.

I know that Nestlé makes a product called "Turtles" because I have an
example in front of me.  (Retro me, Satanas! Greg, it was NOT kind of
you to put this temptation in front of me!) Unfotunately, the Nestlé Web
site doesn't give any further information.  Neither does the wrapper I
am trying so hard not to open.

All the wrapper says is "Nestlé", "Turtles", and "This unit not labeled
for retail sale".

I think (but I'm not sure) that Pixies are the exclusive product of
Fannie Mae candies.  (If they're not, then the Fannie Mae clone company
whose name I forget has them.)

-- mike salovesh    <salovesh at niu.edu>   PEACE !!!