That @ symbol

Wed Jun 28 14:43:39 UTC 2000

--- dcoles <dcoles at HOME.COM> wrote:
> I learned as a kid to read "3 packages @ $1 = $3,"
> which was spoken as follows:
> "three packages at one dollar each equals three
> dollars."
> So the @ symbol included both "at" and "each" in its
> meaning - otherwise, it would have been spoken,
> "three packages at one dollar equals three dollars."
>
> My question is, is there such a thing as a 'phrasal'
> symbol? I've always just called @ the at/each thing.
> Also, to Jennifer Lyons - I'm with you on the
> "approximately" or "about" peeve!
> Cheers,
> Devon Coles

Recollection of seemingly inconsequencial events in my
remote past are rarely clear, but I believe I learned
the use of @ to mean "approximately" before I learned
it also could be used for "at".  As a youth, I deduced
from its usage that @ was an "a" inside a "c", an
abbreviation for "circa", which I understood to mean
"about" or "approximately".

=====
SLC, UT                        |it is that we will be sued