That @ symbol

Kim & Rima McKinzey rkm at SLIP.NET
Thu Jun 29 05:06:12 UTC 2000

>I'm happy that this discussion of @ arose and that a couple of people
>have mentioned an association with "approximately."  I'd been thinking
>for years that I had just dreamed that up at some point in
>childhood.... I concluded that I had
>somehow imagined the "about" part.
>    --Natalie Maynor (maynor at ra.msstate.edu)

Oh me too.  It's always a relief to realize you weren't imagining it.
I had a similar experience with the original "Fantasia."  My father
had taken me to see it when I was about 7 and it was already a rerun.
Years later I'd mention it to friends and no one had heard of it.
I'd say things like, "Remember when Mickey Mouse was the Sourcerer's
Apprentice?  Or the little dancing mushrooms in the Nutcracker Suite?
And they'd look at me like I was nuts.  Of course I may be nuts, but
at least I didn't imagine all of "Fantasia."

Rima