second-person pronouns redux

Anna M Fellegy felle001 at MAROON.TC.UMN.EDU
Wed Mar 1 17:21:26 UTC 2000

In southern Minnesota, the meaning of "X and them" varies, and is,
perhaps, a "cover" for the speaker. The question "What are Ruth and them
doing tonight" assumes that Ruth will probably be with daughter
Jill. In addition, it leaves open the possibility that Ruth AND Jill will
be doing something with  others, probably relatives. It also leaves open
a third (though remote) possibility-- that Ruth might be doing
something with friends and not family. To some degree, the meaning of the
phrase may be tied to the speaker's knowledge of the social network.

Anna Fellegy