entertaining dialect

Wed Mar 1 22:42:27 UTC 2000

At 09:56 PM 2/29/00 -0500, you wrote:
>In a message dated 2/29/2000 4:10:44 PM, Mark_Mandel at DRAGONSYS.COM writes:
>
><< I meant "acoustically distinguishable [in a way that would entertain
>outlanders]". >>
>
>well there is certainly something entertaining about the upper-Midwestern /o/

My southern Ohio students think my Minnesota /o/ is a hoot, but they
acknowledge that it's nowhere near as funny as Jesse Ventura's "pure"
/o/.  Listen to his pronunciation of "Minnesota."  Then again, the first
distinctive sound I heard on my trip to Athens for the job interview was
the fronted /o/ -- so we are indeed all funny.