2pers. pronouns redux: permission to quote?

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Mar 2 20:09:57 UTC 2000

>I'm working on a presentation (next month's SECOL) and on a larger project
>concerned
>with the representation of yall (y'all, ya'll, you-all, etc.) in movies,
>books, and
>other popular media.  The topic isn't the same (as dInIs well knows) as
>what people
>actually say or how they perceive the limitations as to number.  How do people
>(Southerners or non-Southerners) THINK that the term is used.
>
>If anyone has specific references that might be helpful, I'd appreciate
>hearing
>about them.  (Feel free to respond to me personally rather than to the
>list.)  If
>anyone want to argue that only one spelling or meaning is correct, I'm
>willing to
>listen, but please let me know where you grew up.  Variation is a good thing.
>
>Cynthia Bernstein
>cbernstn at memphis.edu

Cynthia, and anyone else interested:

You may want to check out the discussion on ads-l in October 1995, when
there was a spate, if not a plethora, of messages back and forth on y'all
(and ya'll and yall), including a detailed discussion of the possible
possessive forms (including the triple plural possessive all y'all's) and
of the issue of singular vs. plural addressees.  (Let me know if you have
trouble accessing the archive and I can send you the versions I saved.)

larry horn