It's a hoot!

Fri Mar 3 20:22:01 UTC 2000

Following up on my own initiative:  I also used to use "hoot" in another
sense:  "I don't give a hoot" -- which meant "I couldn't care less," "I
don't give a damn."    ("Hoot" would be stressed.)  Is this familiar to
others?  It doesn't seem to be related to laughter, unless by a long
stretch.  In fact, my mother used it the most in our family, and she was of
Norwegian descent, which makes me wonder about the alleged Scandinavian
cognate someone mentioned.  Said with her usual Norse-derived stress and
intonation patterns, the word would sound like a possible cognate
borrowing.  Vicki, I don't have DARE handy; what's the 'hoot2' meaning you
referred to?