Slang books, British, Bad hare day

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Mar 4 18:18:04 UTC 2000

   Greetings again from Porto, where I see Fado tonight.  There is Carnaval going on in Portugal at this time.  Kids are dressing up in all sorts of costumes.  Portuguese will do anything to make a New Yorker feel at home.

SLANG BOOKS

   Amazon's "eyes" came up with these titles for March 2000:

  JUGENDSPRUCHE: THE SLANG OF GERMAN YOUTH by Linda Moehle-Vieregge
  STREET TALK DICTIONARY: POPULAR AMERICAN SLANG TERMS, JARGON, IDIOMS, AND EXPRESSIONS by R. E. Goodman
  BLEEP: A GUIDE TO POPULAR AMERICAN OBSCENITIES by James Ross
  THE DICTIONARY OF ESSENTIAL AMERICAN SLANG by Peter Tse

  Does anyone know anything about these books?  Just what we need--more slang books where the slang is completely without any references to age, source, and whatever else.  And usually stolen from other books!

BRITISH

  From the FINANCIAL TIMES, March 4-5, 2000, pg. 1, col. 7:

_Whitehall wonders what to call the Brits_
   The Foreign Office in London is racking its brains about Britain--or, rather, what to call it.
   The nation's diplomats fear "Britain" and "British" may be less acceptable terms now Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland have their own governments, and are seeking alternative labels for overseas missions.
   It called on overseas missions to use "United Kingdom" or "British" Embassy instead, recognizing that "British" might still be more acceptable in some languages. (...)

BAD HARE DAY

   The same FINANCIAL TIMES, "How to spend it" special section, pg. 59, col. 4, Private Viewing by James Ferguson, has a painting of a rabbit with a human hand in its mouth.  The caption is: Albrecht Durer's "Bad Hare Day."