what the hell's a fluin?

Gerald Cohen gcohen at UMR.EDU
Sat Mar 4 21:30:06 UTC 2000

   In a March 2 message George Thompson expressed bewilderment about  the
term "fluin" (italicized) in an 1822 newspaper.  One gentleman  being
inducted as an honorary member  into a hunting club  was said  to be
"unrivaled as a fluin."

    Here's a guess.  Since "fluin" is attested in no dictionary with an
appropriate meaning,  we may deal with a humorous reformation of "
AFFluent" in its variant pronunciation  "aFFLUent."
The inductee was  perhas  extremely wealthy--aFFLUent, or humorously, "a
fluin."  Also, perhaps he had already made a sizable donation to the
hunting club;  that would certainly qualify him for honorary status.

   In a similar vein, when I was younger I sometimes heard it humorously
said that  someone who had escaped  trouble "got a flucky"  (i.e.,  got off
lucky").

---Gerald Cohen

gcohen at umr.edu