Caipirinha & others

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Mar 6 17:55:32 UTC 2000

   Greetings from Guimaraes, the "first city" of Portugal.  There's a painting of Catherine of Braganza in the castle here--she's the Queen of the borough of "Queens" in New York City.

CAIPIRINHA (continued)

   This Brazil export is a very popular drink here.  My tour guide tells me that it wasn't always so.  Only in the past eight years, when Brazil's economy went kaput (Salsa Effect?), were there Brazilian immigrants to Portugal who brought this drink with them.
  I've traced Caipirinha to the 1960s-1970s.  Next week, I might go to the Library of Congress again and check out Thomas Mario's PLAYBOY GUIDE TO ENTERTAINING to see if it's there.

OTHER DRINKS

  "Pasta Caffe--Ristorante Italiano" was in a mall in Porto and appears to be a chain.  It offered these drinks:

FREE PASSION (non-alcohol)--passion fruit, raspberry, banana, milk
GUACAMAYO--rum, triple sec, lime, pineapple juice
PINA TROPIC--rum, coconut milk shake, pineapple juice
VODKA SUN--vodka, passion fruit, papaya, banana, orange juice
LOVE ON THE BEACH (Why not SEX?--ed.)--vodka, melon liqueur, orange juice
TEQUILA RISE--tequila, lemon, orange juice

   The restaurant has a chocolate monster dessert called "The Godfather," and the Portgual dish "Profiteroles" (light choux pastry filled with cream and served with hot chocolate sauce).

MISC.

  I have an earlier hubba-hubba, and I traced habba-habba to 1915.
  One hotel restaurant offers "Codfish 'Lagareiro' style."
  Is Fraggi Chocolatiers a chain?  It offers these desserts:

Biscuit & Guayaquil
Nuts & Venezuela
Vanilla & Ceiba