"talk to the hand" (Query)

Johanna N Franklin johannaf+ at ANDREW.CMU.EDU
Tue Mar 7 23:12:57 UTC 2000

    It's teen slang.  You stick your hand out in the face of someone who
is boring you or being unpleasant and say "Talk to the hand, 'cause the
face ain't listening."  I've also heard "Talk to the hand, 'cause the
face don't understand."  I guess I've heard it as just "Talk to the
hand," too, but less often.

I heard it in high school in southern Illinois in the mid-1900s.

    Smile, Johanna

Excerpts from mail: 7-Mar-100 "talk to the hand" (Query) by Gerald
Cohen at UMR.EDU