cacha?a and OFF TOPIC

A. Vine avine at ENG.SUN.COM
Wed Mar 8 01:38:55 UTC 2000

Grant Barrett wrote:

> On Tuesday, March 7, 2000, Kathleen Miller <millerk at NYTIMES.COM> wrote:
> >Sorry - it came out fine on my end.
> >Cacha (c cedilla) a
> >and
> >caipir (i acute) ssima
>
> Mark, you gotta get your tech people to get you off Lotus Notes. Even the free email
> programs usually handle special characters well. Or see if you can adjust the
> default character reading and sending to something other than US-ASCII.

Well, the characters don't come out fine on Netscape Messenger on my Unix box
running in a French locale.  My suspicion is that the characters are either not
proper ISO-8859-1 (aka extended ASCII or ANSI) or are mangled by the list
mailer. I am curious to know if all of the folks who see these characters
correctly are using Macs - ?