cacha?a and OFF TOPIC

Grant Barrett gbarrett at AMERICANDIALECT.ORG
Wed Mar 8 05:00:06 UTC 2000

>>My suspicion is that there is a proprietary Mac character being used,
>>instead of
>>an ISO-8859-1 character.

No, I don't think that's it. Katy's original message was sent from a Windows
machine, QUALCOMM Windows Eudora Pro Version 4.1

> I am curious to know if all of the folks who see these characters correctly are
using Macs - ?

That, however, could be true.

It's interesting to note that Katy's message with the special characters was encoded
"iso-8859-1" while the second explanatory message without any special characters was
encoded "us-ascii." Does Eudora do that automatically? Or does do the lines below
from the original header have something to do with this?

--
Grant Barrett
gbarrett at americandialect.org