cacha?a and OFF TOPIC

Aaron E. Drews aaron at LING.ED.AC.UK
Wed Mar 8 15:19:58 UTC 2000

}--- "A. Vine" <avine at ENG.SUN.COM> wrote:
}....
}>
}> français
}> verosímile

Came out as "frangais" and "verosmmile" on this end.  I'm telnetting using
Pine on a Solaris 5.something 'pizza box', with vt220 emulation.  The
fancy L-pound came through perfectly fine-then again, I can't get the
hash-pound (tick-tac-toe) at all.  I haven't figured out how to change my
character set, though.  I'll see how my Mac at home interprets them.

--Aaron

Aaron E. Drews                               The University of Edinburgh
aaron at ling.ed.ac.uk                  Departments of English Language and
http://www.ling.ed.ac.uk/~aaron       Theoretical & Applied  Linguistics

"MERE ACCUMULATION OF OBSERVATIONAL EVIDENCE IS NOT PROOF"
        --Death