French sandwiches; Spanish darts

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Mar 8 17:55:16 UTC 2000

   Greetings from Santiago de Campostela, Spain.

FRENCH SANDWICHES

   "Francesinha" is a popular sandwich in Portugal.  They're available at all the Buondi and Christina Caffes places.  Unfortunately, they don't have English language translations of their menus.
  I've seen "Francesinha especial," "Francesinha de bijou," and "Francesinha em. p. de forma."
  The driver told me it's two slices of bread, ham, cheese, two mini-steaks, and hot sauce.  Not for vegetarians.

SPANISH DARTS

   One Buondi caffe had a video game called "Spanish darts."  Decorating the board were faux-flags of four American colleges--Duke, UCLA, Yale, and Ohio.
  Why "Spanish" darts?  What's the deal with the college flags?  To convey that it's a hip thing at Yale?
  Other cafes had dart games, but not the same one.

MISC.

  The Fundador Hotel in Guimaraes offered:

FUNDADOR ESPECIAL--blue curacao, sumo de laranja, grendaine
PARSON'S SPECIAL (non-alcohol)--gema de ovo, sumo laranja e grenadine
CINDERELA--sumos de limao, laranja e ananaz

   The Gelataria Hollywood in Chaves, Portugal (my last stop--no internet for holiday) had:

S. FRANCISCO--sumos de limao, alperce (sp?), ananas, laranja, pera e xarope de groselha
BATIDO GROSELHA--xarope de groselha, leite magro e gelo

  The Forte de S. Francisco Hotel Bar in Chaves had:

S. FRANCISCO--sumos de laranja, limao, pessego, pera e ananas
VIRGIN MARY--sumo de tomate temperado

   My hotel here in Santiago offers these desserts: orujo cake, santiago cake, pijama.
   FWIW: My next trip is to Japan.