List replies (was Re: cacha?a and OFF TOPIC)

Alice Faber faber at POP.HASKINS.YALE.EDU
Thu Mar 9 02:29:57 UTC 2000

A. Vine wrote:
>Victoria Neufeldt wrote:
>>
>> The ADS-L default setting doesn't work from my computer (or the
>> Merriam-Webster server?)  I just discovered that my own name was in that
>> line, instead of ADS-L.  The problem for the sender is that there is no way
>> of knowing when you're typing up a reply to a posted message; there's no
>> indication on the screen.  However, I discovered that I can specify a
>> different "reply to" (it's in "Options" under the "View" menu in Microsoft
>> Outlook 98) and it actually seems to work.  But I'm not sure if it's only a
>> one-time thing or if I'm actually changing the default "reply to".  I'm
>> trying it again with this posting.  We'll see.  (Sigh.  It's all so
>> complicated for a semi-literate user like me.)
>>

>Reply-to behavior is different for different email clients.  In some clients,
>you can set a permanent Reply-to address, in some, you can set it for an
>individual message.  Are you saying that when you select "Reply," the
>address(es) you're replying to are not displayed?  This is bad design.  In the
>email clients I've used, the reply message displays the address(es) in a To:
>(and Cc:) field along with the Subject and message body areas.

VMS Mail, which I still occasionally use at work, behaves that way. I can
change the subject line when I issue the Reply command, but I'd have to
Forward/Edit if I wanted to Reply with an edited To: line. I suspect that
other legacy mainframe programs, especially non-unix-based, might behave
similarly.

Alice Faber