Santiago de Campostela food & drink

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Mar 9 13:13:25 UTC 2000

   Greetings again from Santiago de Campostela.  The weather is perfect here, but I was told that the rain in Spain lies mainly in the plain.  Or maybe it's that Franco had a good hair day, and the reign in Spain was plainly in the mane.  Whatever.
   The connection is slow and I can hardly read mail.
   This is a university town and a home to travelers (pilgrims) from all over, so there are many places for food & drink.  (Next year, Santiago will be one of Europe's cultural capitals.)
   One "Pasteleria" had signs on the pastries, so I was able to read: tarta de almendra, glorias, mokas, martinioas, canastillos, canas cabello.
   Mojito ("cockteleria tropical"--Beach Bar Latino) offered:  HABANA ZOMBIE (negrito, bacardi, lima, pina, granadina), LONG ISLAND ICE TEA, LUMUMBA (batido de chocolate, brandy), BLACK NIPPLE (guinness, kahlua), SEX ON THE ROCKS, DINOCO (ron, mango, F. passion, pina, maracuya, granadina), KAMCHATKA, and BORNEO.
   Cafe Bar ("A Caldereria") offered:  ST. JAMES (crema de whisky, nata montada y viruta), CATALAN (crema catalana, nata montada y canela), SUNSET CALDERIA (espresso, jarube de fresa, nata montada y freson), CHOC PORTUGUESA (chocolate, nata montada y almendras), and LA GULA (licor de chocolate, crema catalana y nata montada).
   There are not many English menus, so I can't say what items translate.  The items on the English menu at the restaurant I ate at last night had: xouhas (sardines), spider crab "changurra," Galician cheese, "San Simon" cheese, "Naviza" cheese, puntillas, grilled "zamburinas," fried "chincos," santiaguinos, "piquillo" peppers, Galician pie, Galician-style tripe, crema catalona, pannacotta, filloas with honey, and vasito.

   On to Leon!