What color is St. James's white horse?

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Mar 9 16:30:54 UTC 2000

   "What color is St. James's white horse?"
   (ANSWER:  White.)

   The Santiago tour guide today said that this proverb/maxim/saying is from the 17th century figure of St. James on a white horse in the Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela.
   I don't have my phrase books here with me.
   I do know that the phrase took on a life of its own in the U.S., becoming "What color is my blue car?" and the like.

MISC.

   The Santiago cathedral is also known for its famous Rod of Jesse (but it looked nothing like Sheidlower to me).  You put your hand on it and make a wish.  I think the OED works this way.
   "If it ain't baroque, don't fix it" is not original to my tourist party--the tourist/comedian in my group said he heard it from Disney's version of ALICE IN WONDERLAND about six years ago.  I don't have my search engines to check.
   The best book on Spanish cooking appears to be COOKING IN SPAIN (1996) by Janet Mendel.  It's 370 pages, with a SPanish/English glossary on pages 337-343.
   My tour guide just ate a pastry called "ear," but it contained no elephants.