Sackie Watch

Bruce Dykes bkd at GRAPHNET.COM
Fri Mar 10 15:15:07 UTC 2000

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve K. <stevek at SHORE.NET>
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Date: Friday, March 10, 2000 8:49 AM
Subject: Sackie Watch

>Has anyone else heard "Sackie" yet for the name of the new US $1 coin with
>Sacajawea on it? An American I know who lives in Canada I just saw use it
>(I guess along the lines of the Canadian Loonies and Twoonies.)
>
>Something to be on the lookout for, I guess.
>--- Steve K.

Haven't heard it yet, but then again, I almost never hear currency nicknames
outside of fiction and documentary usage. I've never heard sawbuck, fin, or
cnote in real use, and for that matter, as far as amount nicknames go,
large, deuce, g's, or boxes of ziti <g>, I've never heard those used either.

About the only terms I hear used with *ahem* any currency are buck, 'and
change'. As in:

'It cost about 5 bucks.'

'It costs 50 and change.'

bkd