Needs specimen

thomas gebhart tgebhart at MADISON.K12.WI.US
Sat Mar 11 15:18:07 UTC 2000

Dear ADS-L-ers,

For _need + past participle_, please see Murray,
Frazer and Simon in _American Speech_, 1997. For
_want + past participle_, please see Murray and
Simon, in _American Speech_, 1999. And, if you'll
hang on for a bit longer, Murray and I are now
finishing _like + past participle_, using it as a
basis for presenting an amazingly thorough
examination of the history, settlement patterns,
and grammatical and sociolinguistic considerations
of this related set of constructions.

"low class" I know this from turn of the century
novels. But it isn't any sort of descriptive term
in ling.

best,
beth simon