Halls of ivy, Ivy League

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Mar 13 01:15:43 UTC 2000

Let me also remind us that we had a detailed discussion not that long ago
(July 1998, to be exact) of the obviously related "Ivy League", which I've
also seen falsely etymologized--sometimes by my own undergraduates--as
deriving from "IV League" (again from the numeral, rather than the feeding
tube).  Fred and Barry both traced "Ivy League" back to 1936, and Barry had
an earlier pre-Ivy League reference from the late nineteenth century that
seems consistent with viewing (certain) colleges as 'halls of ivy',
although not under precisely that nomenclature, and in fact emanating from
Smith College.  Here's an excerpt from Barry's findings.

--larry