Halls of ivy

Victoria Neufeldt vneufeldt at M-W.COM
Mon Mar 13 17:06:11 UTC 2000

"origin unknown" -- but *perhaps* derives from a 19th-century Brit noun
'posh' meaning "a dandy".  Origin of that noun is also not known.  For those
who haven't heard it, the mythological explanation that won't die is that
the word is an acronym from "port outward, starboard home", referring to
travel by ship between Britain and India, the idea being that the most
expensive cabins (protected from the tropical sun) were on port side sailing
out to India and on the starboard sailing home.  But there is absolutely NO
evidence of these letters ever being used, say to label baggage or identify
passengers' accommodation, or whatever.  (Besides, it seems to me that the
port outward stuff is backwards anyway, since south of the equator, the sun
would be to the north and shining in on the port side sailing east;
actually, come to think of it, in the equatorial regions it's more straight
overhead . . .)

Victoria

Merriam-Webster, Inc. P.O. Box 281
Springfield, MA 01102