nine-one-one vs. nine-eleven?

John Staczek staczekj at T-BIRD.EDU
Mon Mar 13 17:30:56 UTC 2000

Hi Erin,  I was reading my husband's email and thought I would put in MY  2
cents.  I used to teach CPR in the community in Florida. We always taught
the class to dial 9-1-1, (nine, one, one) not nine-eleven. Our reasoning..
in times of emergency and panic,  some folks could possible look for the
eleven on the phone, not making the connection that eleven is one-one.  We
felt that this would eliminate a possible delay in placing the call.
I've heard it called, nine eleven., but don't agree with that.
Kinda like the new person on the computer looking for the "any" key, when
instructed to  "hit any key to continue".
Camille
----- Original Message -----
From: <emckean at ENTERACT.COM>
To: <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Sent: Monday, March 13, 2000 7:46 AM
Subject: nine-one-one vs. nine-eleven?

Is there any info on who says nine-one-one and who says nine-eleven?
Regional? Socioeconomic? EMT folks vs. the rest of us?

I'm thinking it's just personal preference, but I heard a Denver-based
reporter say "nine-eleven tapes" on NPR this morning and it struck me.

In the UK, do folks say "nine-nine-nine" or something else?

Erin McKean
editor at verbatimmag.com