'Critical' Age

Peter A. McGraw pmcgraw at LINFIELD.EDU
Tue Mar 14 00:31:39 UTC 2000

Ye gods!  I remember reading this one on the jokes page of Boys' Life when
I was the appropriate age.  Even at that uncritical age I thought it was a
pretty weak joke, but the editors obviously considered it funny enough to
pay the sender the going rate of $1 per joke printed.

Peter Mc.

--On Mon, Mar 13, 2000 6:02 PM -0500 Bob Fitzke <fitzke at VOYAGER.NET> wrote:

> Re  Creative origins (what are the odds on this one being true?)
>
> Wildlife ID
> According to the Knight-Ridder News Service, the inscription on the
> metal bands used by the U.S. Department of the Interior to tag
> migratory birds has been changed.  The bands used to bear the
> address of the Washington Biological Survey, abbreviated
> "WASH.  BIOL. SURV." until the agency received the following
> letter from an Arkansas camper:
>
> "Dear Sirs:
>
> While camping last week I shot one of your birds.  I think it was a
> crow. We followed the cooking instructions on the leg tag and I
> want to tell you it was horrible."
>
> The bands are now marked "Fish and Wildlife Service".
>

> Bob

                               Peter A. McGraw
                   Linfield College   *   McMinnville, OR
                            pmcgraw at linfield.edu