Noncensus

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Mar 15 02:01:38 UTC 2000

NONCENSUS

   "It's Noncensus" is the census story by James Taranto in the New York
Press, March 15-21, 2000, pg. 2, col. 1.
   "My mother...is an immigrant from Sweden," Taranto states, trying to draw
in the Grant Barrett crowd.  "But we Swedish-Americans don't merit our own
census classification.  There isn't even a 'Scandinavian' category.  Instead,
we're lumped in with the likes of Belgians, Serbs and Bulgarians, all crowded
into the 'White' box."
   Do DARE and others rely on Census information such as this??

MISC.

   I left out TRAINING AND DEVELOPMENT JOURNAL, "A Trainer's Alphabet
Revisited," May 1975, pg. 38, "K--K.I.S.S. Keep It Short and Simple."
   Are these 1920s "Cuban Sandwiches" the same as the ones we know?  This is
that citation from the EVERY WOMAN'S COOK BOOK (1926), pp. 588-589:

    CUBAN SANDWICH
    Cut large slices of bread, remove crusts, spread with soft butter.
Between each two slices lay first a crisp lettuce leaf sprinkled with salt,
then a thin slice of mild yellow cheese, then chopped or thinly-sliced dill
pickle; cover with other slice of bread.