"posh"

Victoria Neufeldt vneufeldt at M-W.COM
Wed Mar 15 16:31:00 UTC 2000

I have a vague idea that I've heard of this one too.  Can't see enough there
to suggest spending any time looking for corroborative evidence, though.
Even semantically it's a stretch.  "Fashionable" isn't even a near synonym
of "opulent".  And of course as has been pointed out here, it is amazing
that the concept of support in the way of actual usage does not seem to even
enter into people's minds when they put these stories forward.  I remember
receiving a letter, when I was at New World dictionaries some years ago,
offering the ship etymology; the writer presented it as fact, in an
articulate letter, saying that a relative (can't remember -- grandparent,
maybe) had actually been a passenger on these voyages.  He did not, however,
include any info about how he knew this, such as references this ancestor
had made to the term either orally or in letters, or artifacts the family
discovered in the ancestor's papers or whatever.  So I duly wrote back
saying that we were delighted to finally have a trail to follow and asked
him to send any evidence he might have.  Never heard from him again.  And
now WE WILL NEVER KNOW!

Victoria

Merriam-Webster, Inc. P.O. Box 281
Springfield, MA 01102