Delicatessen; Kitchen English/French

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Mar 16 21:18:04 UTC 2000

   THE COOK was a periodical published in New York City 1885-1886.  I found lots of interesting stuff here.

DELICATESSEN

   The OED has 1877 in brackets ("Delicatessen" was a proper name), and then 1889.  This is from THE COOK, 20 July 1885, pg. 4, col. 2:

   The Sanitary police of New York have been raiding a "delicatessen" store, and confiscated, as only fit for the offal dump, some twelve tons of imported "food delicacies."  There was nothing the matter with the stuff, except that it was rotten, and the proprietor of the store is so disgusted with a little thing like that being considered enough to render his goods objectionable, that he proposes to go out of the "delicatessen" business.

KITCHEN ENGLISH/FRENCH

   The OED has "Kitchen Dutch," but that's all I could find.
   From THE COOK, 17 August 1885, pg. 4, col. 2:

   _KITCHEN FRENCH_
   The _Hotel Mail_ says that "Kitchen French must imitate the Chinese and--go."  Yes, that's all very well, supposing that the Chinese do "go," which they don't.  But "Kitchen French" is being either squeezed out or reformed and to no small degree through the influnce of THE COOK.  During the first month of publication of this journal almost every mail brought protests from the subscribers against the use of French words in our columns.  Now it is a rare thing for us to receive a letter on that subject. (...)

   THE COOK, 24 August 1885, pg. 9, col. 2:

   _KITCHEN ENGLISH IN FRANCE_
   The use of English in the kitchen in France is as bizarre as the use of French in the kitchen in England or America.  The simple ginger snap is set down grandiloquently in the bill of fare of an American summer hotel as _gateaux de gingembre_.  And a recent bill of fare at the Grand Hotel in Paris offered "Irisch-stew, a la francaise"--truly a marvelous dish.  (...) Hitherto we have held as legendary, only, the translation of _riz de veau a la financiere_ as "smile of the little cow in the style of the female financier"--but, after this, nothing is impossible.