"smashing" < Gaelic??

Lynne Murphy lynnem at COGS.SUSX.AC.UK
Fri Mar 17 17:27:20 UTC 2000

According to Partridge, "smashing" was "phenomenally popular" in the RAF in
WW2, caught on among civilians post 1945, and after ca. 1957 "it began to
lose popularity, except among school-children, teenagers, lower middle
class.  This sense may have originated in boxing: cf. C.19 synon.
_crushing_, _smacking_, and _stunning_.

Incidentally (and unrelated), the "Nothing personal" column on Salon has
been word-watching for the Atlantic crossing of "gobsmacked", noting a
couple of times where British people have been quoted using the term in the
American press (and the confusion it causes).  Is "gobsmacked" making its
way into American English at all?  (It means "astonished; rendered
speechless".)

Lynne

Dr M Lynne Murphy
Lecturer in Linguistics